IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission - IEC TS 62998-1:2019
Safety of machinery - Safety-related sensors used for the protection of persons
|Organization:||IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission|
|Publication Date:||2 May 2019|
|ICS Code (Safety of machinery):||13.110|
|ICS Code (Characteristics and design of machines, apparatus, equipment):||21.020|
IEC TS 62998-1:2019 gives requirements for the development and integration of safety related sensors (SRS) and safety related sensor systems (SRSS) used for protection of persons with special... View More
IEC TS 62998-1:2019 gives requirements for the development and integration of safety related sensors (SRS) and safety related sensor systems (SRSS) used for protection of persons with special attention to systematic capabilities.
This generic standard only applies if
- protection of persons is to be performed by using sensors, and
- standards for functional safety of electrical control systems address sensor(s) as subsystem or subsystem element, and
- product specific sensor standards (e.g. IEC 61496 (all parts), IEC 60947-5-2) do not contain all necessary provisions, or product specific sensor standards are not developed.
The approach of examination of systematic capabilities by using different safety related sensor standards is described in Annex A.
The requirements and methods within this document are limited to the purpose of protection of persons
- by detection of potentially hazardous objects,
- by detection of a body, parts of a body and objects associated to parts of a body entering a hazardous area, or
- by classification respective discrimination of these against other objects.
Special attention is given to the sensing function and dependability of the detection capability. Environmental influences and tests for indoor and outdoor use are defined which influence the sensing function and dependability of the detection capability.
IEC TS 62998-1:2019 can be relevant to applications other than those for the protection of persons in industries, for example, for the protection of persons in public like agriculture or metro stations.
IEC TS 62998-1:2019 does not consider and address proven in use (e.g. processes or elements) as done in IEC 61508-2.