Central station power for mines
|Author(s):||J. S. Jenks|
|Publisher:||IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.|
|Publication Date:||1 April 1913|
|Page(s):||989 - 996|
The paper is devoted chiefly to a historical sketch of the West Perm system in regard to its electrical service in connection with coal mines. The first mine installation was connected to the system in 1896 and previous to that time it had been found very difficult to convince the mine operators of the advisability of central station service, as they claimed that it was not as reliable as an isolated plant. The central station service was also antagonized by the mine inspectors, who frequently prohibited central station service for certain uses, especially for fans, contending that mine ventilation was of such importance that no mining company should be dependent upon another corporation for its power for fan operation. These objections were only overcome after several years of successful operation in a large number of mines. The paper mentions a number of mine installations which have been supplied by the central station company's power and describes various difficulties that have arisen in regard to such installations and the methods of overcoming them. The growth of this business is shown by the fact that since the original installation of 120 horse power in one mine, the company now supplies power for 76 coal mines aggregating nearly 15,000 horse power, and has contracts with 10 companies for over 5000 horse power to be installed as soon as possible.